Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon adopted and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph obtained its current name in 1870. Many settlers arrived for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Village was incorporated in 1890. As the township grew, so do the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a general public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and place liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the here families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing enough time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and animal care. Immediately after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the war ended people were able to get their lives back on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to stay together as part of your. Through a federal government offer, check here the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the united states into World War Saint Joe Mo 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph got a inhabitants of around 1050, sacrificing 10 heroic soldiers to the war. The community continued to be strong and extended to improve the Village, adding a normal water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its drinking water supply, and carries on to take action.